Product Identifiers in LPDS

The Vision Council

Starter topic for discussion of product ID's to be used in LPDS to include identification of "packages" which may include lenses and various treatments.  Please post your thoughts, questions, concerns, etc.  If you have any specific proposals on the creation of product identifiers please feel free to share those as well.

Couple comments from lens manufacturer/lab perspective:

• what is the problem that is trying to be fixed? I am coming late to the party and just curious so I can better understand the goal of this
  •  Having OPC/IDs for packages I believe is excess
    •  Many times "packages" or Marketing campaigns are temporary.. so why go through all this work for something that would be obsolete a few months later?
    •  This presents another step in launching a Marketing campaign which could potentially limit your ability to respond to market demands quickly (it takes time to request identifiers, load them in our system, then load them in LMS systems, etc)
  •  if there was some sort of design identifier that all LMS companies can recognize, this would make the process much more efficient and easy to use from a lens designer perspective

Hope this helps and look forward to the conversation.

Nick

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/25/2019 at 8:12 AM, Nick L said:

Couple comments from lens manufacturer/lab perspective:

• what is the problem that is trying to be fixed? I am coming late to the party and just curious so I can better understand the goal of this
  •  Having OPC/IDs for packages I believe is excess
    •  Many times "packages" or Marketing campaigns are temporary.. so why go through all this work for something that would be obsolete a few months later?
    •  This presents another step in launching a Marketing campaign which could potentially limit your ability to respond to market demands quickly (it takes time to request identifiers, load them in our system, then load them in LMS systems, etc)
  •  if there was some sort of design identifier that all LMS companies can recognize, this would make the process much more efficient and easy to use from a lens designer perspective

Hope this helps and look forward to the conversation.

Nick

Hi Nick,

First, just to be clear, this is for the new standard still under development, not the existing LDS.  The problem is that we do not have a standardized, universally unique way of identifying things outside of physical lenses.  OPC's work for that and while expanding the use of OPC was discussed it's not really feasible for this purpose.  So it's really about more than packages.  No user of the standard would be forced to create packages in their LPDS catalogs but if they want to we would like to have a single ID methodology that can be applied to those as well.

I think your last bullet is on point... I believe that is exactly what the group is trying to develop.

Regards,

Paul

Archived