OPCs for digital designs

DanielSimonetta

Hello everyone,

I believe that I have have initiated individual conversations with many of the LMS vendors regarding the topic of OPCs for digital designs. With Semi-Finished progressive lenses it made sense to have an OPC for each eye but I am curious if this logic still holds true today. I am sure to over-simplify this and get reprimanded by the smarter members but it seems that digital design products would need only a singular OPC that represents the specific design for reporting purposes and not a singular OPC for each eye. What other uses/scenarios require two OPCs for a job containing a right and left lens of a digital design product. Thanks for not being too harsh :-)

I'm fairly sure Signet is already doing it this way.  If I recall correctly, they switched to a single OPC per design several years ago.  There's no reason I can think of that a manufacturer must use multiple OPC's per design.  I feel that is complete up to the manufacturer.  I don't think anything in the standard forces a manufacturer to use left and right OPC's for freeform designs but perhaps I missed something.

• 2 weeks later...

From an LMS perspective, we don't require OPC codes for digital products at all, unless they are required by the vendor for reporting purposes (as Shamir does). At the risk of speaking out of turn, I believe some LMS systems do (or did at one time) require an OPC for each combination of base/add that correspond to the digital product that is created.   Hopefully other LMS vendors will weigh in on this discussion.

Archived